Thursday, April 15, 2010

THE BLESSING THAT NEVER STOPS by Robert Soto

April 15, 2010

THE BLESSING THAT NEVER STOPS by Robert Soto

Psalm 103:17-18 "But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts."

It has been an interesting three and a half years of being a grandfather. I have been able to spend a little more time with my grandson than I did with my children. I was in seminary when my children were little. I was taking seventeen to twenty-one hours a semester and going to school through the summer and winter months. So I was in school year round. Furthermore, to help with the finances, I was putting in thirty-five to forty hours a week of work. But in the midst of a heavy three-year schedule, I still tried to spend some time with my children, just not as much as I am now able to do with my grandson. So in these past three years I have seen him develop in ways I did not see my children develop. I have had the privilege of taking walks with him and from time to time stop for five or ten minutes just to stare at a squirrel or a flock of birds. We have stopped to watch a turtle or two sunbathing, or maybe collecting a few rocks and just throwing them in the air.

I am enjoying my time with my grandson. I want him to learn everything he can of who he is and who God the Creator made him to be. I want him to learn about God and His love for us. I want him to understand God's desire for our lives and to learn to love Him. I want him to learn to respect his elders and respect the creation which God the Creator made to speak of Him. I want my grandson to remember the good things that God the Creator has done on behalf of his people. I want my grandson to be a proud Lipan Apache. There is blessing when we teach them to do what is right. God the Creator remembers the things we do and the things we are to accomplish. God the Creator will not forget a people who love Him and honor Him. David knew this and for this reason he wrote, "But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts." Live a life that honors God and see His blessing fall not just onto your life, but also on the lives of your children and grandchildren.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment