Saturday, April 10, 2010

KNOWING TO BE A GIVER by Robert Soto

April 10, 2010

KNOWING TO BE A GIVER by Robert Soto

John 6:26 "Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill."

The other day I was listening to the words of one of our tribal elders. He looked at me and said, "I am here to serve the tribe. I want to help the tribe in any way I can." He said this as he was helping dig a trench to lay down 63 bags of cement. What he does not know is how much of a blessing he has been in my life. He took several heavy iron pipes and made one of the strongest gates for the buffalo corral to make sure that they stay in their corral. I then told him that there are two kinds of people: those who are takers and those who are givers. The takers are in our tribe to see what they can get out of us and all we do. They never lift a hand to help but stand in the background and criticize all we do. Then he said, "Why can't people be givers?" They need to have the saying, "I'm not here for what the tribe can do for me but what I can do for the tribe."

My friend is a giver. He gave his time by helping me dig a twenty-eight foot trench. He gave of his talents as he welded six pieces of pipe to make the neatest and strongest gate I have ever seen. He gave of his money. My friend is a giver and he wants our tribe to succeed. He is not here to suck the life out of an organization but to see what he can do to make us succeed. He told me he was here for the tribe and if he could do anything for me or for the tribe, to please tell him. Jesus once looked at His following and said, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill." As long as they had food to eat, they followed our Lord. They were takers. As long as they had food to eat and something to drink, they were happy. Be a giver and not a taker.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment