Thursday, April 29, 2010

A PEACE WE HAVE LOST by Robert Soto

April 29, 2010

A PEACE WE HAVE LOST by Robert Soto

Deuteronomy 8:11-14 "Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied....then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought...you out of the land of slavery."

A few years ago my sister and her family were transplanted to a rural community in the midwest. She used to write, "I'm an Apache being held captive in the middle of a cornfield." I thought she was joking until I came to visit her one spring day. I stopped for a short visit and discovered she was right. It is a little community in the middle of nowhere country. It was like Mayberry USA. Shops were not always open. Matter of fact, I have been wanting to visit this shop since she moved here. She once told me, "He opens when he feels like it and if he does not feel like it he does not have to open." This morning as my brother-in-law left the house I asked him if he wanted me to lock the doors when we left. He said, "No thanks, we don't have keys for the doors anyway." I think the most excitement that ever happened in this place was my sister moving here.

But as I get ready to drive off back to my hometown, I can't help but think of the peace we have lost - the innocence that we have lost as a people and as a nation. There was a time when we did not have to lock our doors. When we could trust our neighbors. When our children could play outdoors and our neighbors kept their eyes on us to make sure we did not get into trouble. Gone is the innocence of that time. Gone is the trust in our neighborhoods. Gone are the days when we helped each other and looked to each other for support. I guess that is what happens when a nation, a city, a community forgets about God the Creator. We become proud and self-centered. We forget who is the one who controls our lives. Moses said, "Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied....then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought...you out of the land of slavery." As I left this peaceful town, I could not help but be envious of their peace that we all long for.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment