Wednesday, April 21, 2010

LOOKING DOWN AT US by Robert Soto

April 20, 2010

LOOKING DOWN AT US by Robert Soto

Ecclesiastes 4:1-2 "Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed-- and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors--and they have no comforter. And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive."

The other day I sat down and watched the movie "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee." I remember when the book first came out back in the 1970's. I have never been much for pleasure reading but I remember seeing this book at one of the tribal offices of the Seminoles where I spent a lot time. So each time I had to sit and wait, I would read a few pages. It came to the point where sometimes I could not put the book down. Being that I am not much of a reader, I enjoy a good movie that brings to light that which I read. So seeing the movie about Wounded Knee brought to life that which I had read. In the movie they showed Sitting Bull who had voluntarily come to the Rosebud Reservation. But the part of the movie I can't forget is when one of the warriors said, "In this reservation we can hunt our own food." Then he went into a corral with his horse and chased a small calf and shot it. When the calf fell he yelled out his war cries. Then his face turned white with disappointment when he saw the eyes of a very discouraged Sitting Bull.

I'm not sure if this is the way it really happened, but through the night I couldn't help but think of the expression on his face as he remembered what life had been like and what it was today. His disappointment went further than his facial expression; it went down to the heart. Then I started to think of myself as I drove back from the pow wow. I looked at all our Indian people as they yelled the war cries after every song. I heard them complain about the judging and the food that was given. I heard them talk about keeping traditions of the elders and times past. Then it hit me. What would our ancestors of times past think of us today? Would they be proud of our dance, our traditions, our complaints, our gripes, or our lives? Would they be able to sit in the stands and look at us with a happy heart or with tears in their eyes wondering if this is what they died for. Then I thought of the words of Solomon when he was allowed to look at all who had been oppressed. He said, "And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive."

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment