Monday, April 26, 2010

THE GIFT OF LAND by Robert Soto

April 26, 2010

THE GIFT OF LAND by Robert Soto

Genesis 1:17 "Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you."

Several things came out today that have been on my mind. One of them was the whole issue of reconciliation and forgiveness among Indian people. For some time now, people have accused me of not wanting reconciliation. But I feel to the contrary; I wish there were some way to reconcile our differences and be friends with those who have done nothing but to try to destroy who we are as Indian people. I would love to see recognition among our people and others whose ancestors came to our land and did whatever they wanted to us to get the land they lusted after. What I do not like is the lack of sincerity in the acts of reconciliation. Reconciliation is not a one-time deal as we get together and ask for forgiveness and exchange gifts. It goes beyond one act of kindness where we hug and embrace in the name of peace. I truly feel that reconciliation is a progressive endeavor where one group not only speaks the words that start the process of reconciliation but through the years exhibits the continual desire and ventures out to make things right.

Today I was approached by a young man who feels we have been done wrong. As I heard his words all I could think about was, "How many times have I heard his cry of forgiveness and his desire to make things right?" I guess more times than I can remember. He asked me what I thought was the main obstacle to the whole process of reconciliation. While there are many, I could only speak of one - the land. Our people many years ago felt that no one could own the land. They felt that this land was not given to us to hoard and abuse. We felt that we were given this land as stewards and caretakers so that we could live and survive. The issue of the land would be a good beginning. I know that we would never be able to take back that which was stolen from us, but nevertheless, the land would be a good start. Abraham was given the responsibility to scout out the land. But he saw it as a gift from God the Creator who said, "Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you." When our land was taken, it was not only taken from us, but from God the Creator who was the giver of the gift. It all starts with the land.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment