Thursday, March 18, 2010

BE EAGER TO LISTEN by Robert Soto

March 18, 2010

BE EAGER TO LISTEN by Robert Soto

Romans 12:15 "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn."

Is there room for any jealousy among people? Have you ever noticed that there are some people who cannot rejoice with others when they have good news about anything in their lives? For some reason, they always have a better story and have a better illustration. I remember a person who had just started coming to church who called me one day. He said to me, "Pastor, I was reading my bible the other day and I found this and I thought it might encourage you." A said to him, "You know, I need a word of encouragement today." So he went on and shared his newfound wisdom and I let him preach to me. I had heard it a thousand times and could have added a bit more truth to his discovery. I could have said, "I thank you for your attempt to share this new revelation with me, but to be honest with you, I have heard it a thousand times and have preached several sermons on the passage." Instead, after he finished his exposition I said to him, "I want to thank you for those wonderful words of encouragement. They brought true peace and comfort to my soul."

You might say to me, "But you were lying - after all, you had read the passage many times over and had heard several sermons on the passage and even preached your own." While all that is true, I was blessed and I was comforted by his words; that was not a lie. You see, it brought true peace and joy to me that this man was excited about a passage and thought it important enough to share with me. His excitement was my joy and his desire to grow in his faith was my comfort and peace. Paul said, "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." Be eager to listen and be eager to rejoice. Listen to those who are excited and do not be afraid keep quiet and rejoice with those who rejoice.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment