Monday, March 15, 2010

BLESSINGS THROUGH YOUR CHILDREN by Robert Soto

BLESSINGS THROUGH YOUR CHILDREN by Robert Soto

March 15, 2010

Psalm 103:17 "But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--"

I have always wondered what I will leave behind when I die. By this I mean, not the things that I have accumulated but the things that will remind people of who I was. I was a teenager when I realized that the only thing I can leave behind that will remind others of who I was, is the legacy of children. It was something I had always looked forward to - to have a little mind to mentor and develop into a life that will carry on, not your life, but a reflection of who you were. It was last night that I realized that my dream was being fulfilled. During our pow wow, I stood ready to do a Fancy Dance exhibition with six other dancers, one of them being my son and another one being my three year old grandson. This little three year-old boy stood among giants with pride and not a sign of any feeling of intimidation that he was just a little boy in the midst of older dancers. Then he looked up at me with a cute little smile and gave me a thumbs-up.

David wrote a promise once. He said, "But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--" I am leaving a legacy for my children. I am leaving a legacy for my children's children. I am leaving the only thing I can leave for my children and grandchildren to remind them of me. I am leaving them me. Last night as we finished the fancy dance exhibition the MC asked us to line up for a picture of the whole group. There were seven fancy dancers. My grandson was next to me breathing hard as a good fancy dancer should. Then I heard him speaking so softly. He was saying, "Papa, one more fancy dance, one more fancy dance." It was then that it struck me: when I am dead and gone, I am leaving a second person besides my children, I am leaving me in my grandson. As tired as I was I looked at the MC and said, "One more song for my grandson." As we danced one more time I saw the blessing of God the Creator in me in my son and in my grandson.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment