Thursday, March 25, 2010

GOD'S POWER RESTING IN US by Robert Soto

March 25, 2010

GOD'S POWER RESTING IN US by Robert Soto

Psalm 94:17 "Unless the LORD had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death."

I remember seeing a movie once where the Chief said, "It is a good day to die." I'm not sure if any day is a good day to die, but this Indian was playing a Lakota in the movie. I have often wondered why anyone would think that any day was a good day to die. But today as I sat in my recliner meditating on the previous day, I couldn't help but think of something I wrote at the end of yesterday's thought. I wrote, "Today was a good day to win." It was in reflection on the current court case where I had decided to sue the Department of Interior for what I felt was a clear violation of my religious rights as an Indian and as American living in this country. It seems that everything went our way that day. I could attribute it to a good judge who did his homework. I could attribute it to some good lawyers who also did their homework and made sure they were well prepared. I could attribute the win to the lawyer sent by the United States government who seemed to not know what he was doing half of the time. Or I guess I could just say it was nothing but luck.

But as I sat reflecting on the day, one thing came to mind. That all the preparation would not have helped unless the power of God the Creator had placed His hands on our lives. You see, we were not alone. There were several thousand people all over the United States and the world praying for us and for all we were called to do. I feel it was more than luck; it was the power of God our Creator who, before the foundations of the world knew this would happen. David knew what the help of God meant. He said, "Unless the LORD had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death." I must never forget that all that has been accomplished so far has not come through my human endeavors, but through the power of God who has walked with us each step of the way. But it was more than just God, but God's people praying as several thousands joined in support and pled on our behalf to make sure that we entered the court room, not in my own power but in the power of God which rested on us.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment