Friday, March 26, 2010

NEVER FORGETTING by Robert Soto

March 26, 2010

NEVER FORGETTING by Robert Soto

Psalm 78:5-6 "He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children."

I think it is interesting to sit and hear my grandson practice Indian songs he has memorized as well as the songs that he has made up. At three years and five months old he is starting to realize when a song sounds good or not. Sometimes I catch him going over one part of the song over and over again until the song sounds like he wants it to sound. I'm not sure if he is a perfectionist at his young age or if just wants his song to be the best it can be. But regardless of which it is, he does bring joy to my heart as he sings song after song after song. Sometimes I recognize his songs as ones that I or someone else has written, but most of the time it is just little Robby putting his thoughts and feelings into a simple song around the drum.

But I think what I admire the most about him as I did my children and nephews and nieces and little cousins that I have seen grow up the last few years, is that understanding of who they are and what they were created to do and to be. They start seeing their world not just as any person, but as an Indian person. Robby might not understand what it really means to be an Indian in the twenty-first century, but he does understand that he is a little different than some of his little friends. I know his half-brother sometimes looks at him a little weird because all my grandson wants to do is drum, sing and dance while his half-brother would rather play some game or see a movie. As I see my grandson and all my younger relatives, something tells me that when I am dead and gone, they will not forget who they are and who they were meant to be. Asaph wrote the following words, "...he (God) commanded our forefathers to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children." As long as we continue to teach and remind them, they will never forget and will pass it on to generations to come.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment