Tuesday, March 9, 2010

LEARNING FROM A SINCERE HEART by Robert Soto

LEARNING FROM A SINCERE HEART by Robert Soto

March 9, 2010

Romans 12:9-10 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves."

This weekend we performed at a four-day festival. We did six American Indian presentations and four parades. A lot of dancing for very little money but as I looked around I noticed two things. One thing I noticed was the eyes of those who were listening to our words and songs and observing our dances. As I stared at them I could see who was interested in what we were saying. I could see who was sincere in their heart. I could see those who were really touched by our history and who felt sincerely sorry for the wrong that was done to us. Then after the presentation they would come and share how they were touched by the words and the dances.

It was then that I realized again that we are more than entertainers. We have a message to share and a song to sing. We have a message to tell the world. We have to tell the truth to those who will listen. Even if things might not ever change, at least we know that our words are understood. But we share these words in love so that people can understand the evil and wrong that was done. We do it in love which will speak louder than the wrong. Paul said, "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves." As I walked away one young couple came to me and said, "I'm sorry. I wish I could do more." I said, "Your words bring peace to my heart. Thank you."

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment