Monday, March 22, 2010

REMEMBERING TO PRAY by Robert Soto

March 22, 2010

REMEMBERING TO PRAY by Robert Soto

I Peter 4:7 "The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray."

I have a wall in my house that I have dedicated as my prayer wall. For most people it appears to be a wall full of junk. For me, it is a wall of reminders of people who need prayer and who needed prayer. It is a reminder of people who once struggled and who are still struggling. It is a reminder that there are people all over the world who are people just like me and you. Most of the objects on my wall are things that Indian people gave me to remind me to pray for them. It is also a reminder of friends who are no longer with us and who struggled through life and eventually were defeated by those struggles. Some of the objects on my wall tell me that sometimes we put our lives in danger and deserve what we get. There is a rattle from a man who died of lung cancer, because he was a heavy smoker. There is a little drum from an innocent baby who was overtaken by an incurable disease. There are even objects from people who betrayed their friendship and no longer walk alongside of me. I still pray for them. Occasionally someone asks me, "Why do you have five cartons of cigarettes hanging on your wall?" I explain to them, "These are five people who struggle with smoking and want to quit. It reminds me to pray for them."

So I call it my prayer wall because it reminds me to pray. Prayer is what opens the door of communication between us and God the Creator. Prayer is our way of talking to the Creator of all who live and breathe on this earth. Prayer is our way of going directly to God the Creator when we need to calm our soul and heart. Prayer is God's way of allowing us to bring before Him the things we need and the things that burden us. Do I need an object to remind me to pray? No, but my wall makes an interesting conversation piece and serves as a constant reminder to keep my mind focused on those who have a need in this world. We live in desperate times and we need a constant reminder that we should always be willing and ready to pray. Peter said, "The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray." So when I look at my wall, I am reminded that we should always be ready, willing and prepared to pray for others.

Robert Soto, Lipan Apache and pastor of:

McAllen Grace Brethren Church
The Native American New Life Center
Chief of Chiefs Christian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment